Saturday 17 February 2018

Teeth Problems




This week did not start well, I discovered last Sunday that Chesney had broken a tooth.  It wasn't just cracked, nearly half of one side of one of his front incisors was gone!  He won't let me take a photo for you though.  It wasn't that new either, I don't check his teeth that regularly.  Basil's I look at every few days because he can get things stuck between his but Chesney has such big gaps because of his age that I don't look very often.


I guess he could have broken it a week to 10 days before as that is probably the last time I looked.  I really don't know how he could have done it either, he must have seriously knocked it or bitten on something he shouldn't.

Chesney wasn't really showing any of the signs that I wrote about in my blog a while ago about teeth.  He was eating fairly normally, he has always dropped food as he eats because he tries to stuff as much in his mouth as possible at a time.  He goes back and clears up afterwards.  

Obviously I called the vet, as Ches didn't seem to be in any pain and I could see no swelling or infection I waited until Monday morning.  The vet came at lunchtime and Chesney was really good, he didn't need sedating which was good news too.   The vet agreed he could have done it up to 2 weeks before as the gum had started to grow across the gap.  After having a really good look, flushing it out and prodding to check there was no pain, we decided he didn't need an x-ray.  He has also not had to have any antibiotics although I am keeping an eye on it.  It doesn't seem to have damaged the tooth into the pulp cavity which is where the nerves and sensitive bits are.

At his age I am really hoping he isn't going to need further work and that he can just live with it and the vet didn't think this would be a problem.  I am just going to have to watch more carefully and I am now checking all of their teeth every couple of days - it is good practise for Tommy too :)



Have you seen my latest video 'One Muddy Day'  on my You Tube channel?   
Horse Life and Love.  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Chesney, Basil, Tommy and Daisy. 

Until next time!   
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment