Tuesday 18 November 2014

Book Review - Up, Up and Away



Up, Up and Away- The Biography of Be Fair by Lucinda Prior-Palmer


When I finished Mark Todd's book I decided to go back and read one of my favourite books of all time.  Written by Lucinda Prior-Palmer (now Green) back in the 1970's it is about her amazing horse that took her from her Pony Club days to the Olympics, Badminton and much much more.






I think the reason I love this book so much is that it is a real against the odds story.  It was given to me by a friend of my mum's when I first started riding and I don't know how many times I have read it but the pages are falling out!  


The book starts when Lucinda first got Be Fair and discovered that he had an amazing jump - when he wanted to!  He was a really difficult horse but through perseverance and support from family and friends their bond grew and grew.  Every page you read you can feel how much she loved him.  The way the book is written makes you feel that you know Be Fair and it really  makes you love him too.  He seems to be such a character and that comes across so well throughout the book. As they compete at new and increasingly difficult events through their ups and downs you are willing them on to succeed. 


The book also gives you an insight, as Mark's book did into the world of Eventing and there is some cross over with the events they both attended.  There are some amazingly scary photos like the one on the front of the book which really brings home to you what the sport used to be like. 








Unfortunately I think the book is out of print, but I did find some copies on Amazon last week.  If you love horses, enjoy eventing and perhaps have your own difficult horse then read this inspiring story and you will believe anything is possible! 



My latest vlog will be up tomorrow - one day of my life - on my new You Tube channel.   Horse Life and Love

Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.
You can also follow me on Facebook for updates on Chesney, Basil, Fidget and Daisy.

Until next time!

Jo




No comments:

Post a Comment